The fact is, no one plans on getting a DUI. During the holidays many people are getting pulled over in routine sobriety checks and, in turn, getting arrested for DUIs. While you should always plan for a sober driver, if you do end up getting a DUI this holiday season what steps should you take? Once the shock and grief subside it is time to take action. Below are the steps to take after a DUI.
- Get a lawyer. Understanding the laws surrounding DUIs in your area is somewhat confusing. Hiring a seasoned lawyer that has represented those arrested for DUIs is your first step to success.
- Show up in court. Most areas demand that those arrested for DUIs report to court “within 30 days of the arrest.” Being on time and showing up to your court date with your lawyer is going to avoid any “further legal trouble.”
- Follow through with punishments. The judge is going to sentence you to punishments and it is dire that you follow through with those. The punishments can include fines, license restrictions or suspensions, classes, and probation.
- Find a new insurance. Most insurances drop those who are convicted of DUIs. If your license is not revoked, make sure that you find a new insurance company. “In most states, you’ll also have to file an SR-22, which serves as proof that you have the proper amount of insurance that is required by the state you live in. You will have to carry insurance and the SR-22 form for a minimum of three years.”
- Retrieve your license. Some people who get convicted of a DUI get their license suspended for a period of time. If this is the case, follow all steps in order to redeem your license again. Most times this includes showing proof of signing up for alcohol classes, paying fines, etc. You will also have to show proof of obtaining new insurance.
DUI and DWI Educational and Aftercare Program
DUI educational classes will most likely be mandated by your appointed judge. The length of time you must participate in a class will depend on your blood alcohol content at the time of your arrest. Receiving a DUI is usually a good time to take a look at your drinking habits. Many people see receiving a DUI as a “wake up call” and benefit from substance abuse therapy. Whether you decide to participate in a detox program, counseling, or one of the many programs offered for substance abuse, you will be taking steps in the right direction.
State Certified DUI and DWI Educational Programs – Approved by MVA and DHMH
The Bergand Group hosts Baltimore County’s most comprehensive DUI and DWI educational programs, now serving Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Harford County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, and Howard County. Most offenders will be required, at a minimum, to enroll in a 12-hour Alcohol Education Program. So satisfy these requirements, the Bergand Group offers two continuous weekly DUI Education Programs, with rolling admissions, conducted two hours every week for 6 weeks. Our DUI Educational Programs are offered as follows:
- Tuesday Evening 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Saturday Morning 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Clients may enroll in these programs at any time after receiving a DUI or DWI and start the program immediately. Our flexible and continuous schedule allows clients to enter our program as soon as they are able to. Once enrolled, clients will attend six consecutive weekly sessions to complete the program. According to the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration, “Providing this course work over a six week period increases information retention and greater understanding of the material being taught.”
In accordance with The Bergand Group’s comprehensive approach to substance abuse treatment, each attendee will also be evaluated for appropriate services, including admission into Intensive Outpatient Treatment and 26 or 52 week Aftercare Programs.
DUI Aftercare and Continued Education
Our DUI/DWI Aftercare Groups can be attended after successful completion of our weekend or weekly Alcohol Education Program. Aftercare groups are strongly recommended for second or third DUI/DWI offenders for a period of 26 to 52 weeks depending on the severity of the offense and/or our clients’ individual needs. Our DUI Aftercare Groups are scheduled:
- Monday Evening 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Call our offices at 410-853-7691 to schedule a course.[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible” margin_top=”20px” margin_bottom=”20px” background_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0)”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_separator style_type=”single solid” sep_color=”#747474″ icon=”” width=”” class=”” id=””/]
About The Bergand Group:
At The Bergand Group in Baltimore, MD our therapists have more than twenty years of experience in the mental health and addiction fields. Our focus is on providing comprehensive mental health care and appropriate care for addictive disorders. We offer both alcohol rehabilitation and drug rehabilitation. If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or substance addiction, there is help available. We also offer several other services, including family therapy and counseling. We can help. Contact us today.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]