No matter where someone walks in life, one principle stands out: Education is power. This concept especially holds true for those who are struggling with substance abuse. Achieving a deeper understanding of addiction, recovery and support can set the stage for long-term victory against these challenges. Psychoeducational programs are key to building knowledge and are important for empowering the struggling addict to succeed.
What Are Psychoeducational Programs?
Psychoeducational programs are special sessions designed to educate and enlighten addicts on the facts and expectations concerning substance abuse and addiction. By increasing their level of understanding, the addict is armed with truths about substance abuse that can inspire them to more powerfully overcome their addiction and successfully live restored lives.
What Topics Are Covered?
Any of the following may be included in psychoeducational programs:
- Identifying Addiction. Helps the addict come to terms with a problem, and see the seriousness of consequences. Sometimes realizing and accepting that a problem exists is the first step in recovery, and learning about the signs and symptoms can open the eyes of someone struggling with substances.
- Seeking Help. The more the addict understands the immensity of the challenges they face, the more they will feel the need to reach out for assistance.
- Preventing Relapse. Learning to leverage the decisions and situations in their life to remain free. Discovering steps to insulate themselves from those areas, and steer toward a healthy, fulfilling life.
- Understanding Environmental Pressure. Realizing the need to create an environment geared for success, and eliminate the elements of life that tend to pull them backward.
- Determining Triggers. Learning to identify and avoid the situations, places and people that can lead to a relapse. Enables the addict to intelligently assess their circumstances and make wise choices.
- Setting Goals. Creating a life plan with goals, desires and methods to reach those milestones. Learning to see themselves living a victorious, successful life.
- The Critical Need For Counseling. Once the addict learns the truth about addiction, they can make recovery a priority rather than an afterthought. Sees the absolute need for assistance in achieving their goals.
Getting Started: Find Psychoeducational Programs
Education truly is power, and psychoeducational programs can give you the resources you need to succeed. Reach out to The Bergand Group and find the help you need today.
About The Bergand Group:
At The Bergand Group in Baltimore and Harford County, Maryland, our therapists have more than twenty years of experience in the mental health and addiction fields. Our focus is on providing comprehensive mental health care and appropriate care for addictive disorders. We offer both alcohol rehab and drug rehabilitation. If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or substance addiction, there is help available. We also offer several other services, including family therapy and counseling. We can help. Contact us today.