On your road to substance abuse recovery, you may have considered adding group therapy to your treatment plan. Group therapy is when several individuals with similar diagnoses meet in a safe, controlled setting to discuss progress, setbacks, and ways to support each other while a licensed counselor acts as mediator or facilitator. The Bergand Group provides intensive group therapy sessions to Baltimore area residents recovering from alcohol or drug addiction.
Benefits of Group Therapy
What are the benefits of group therapy? What can intensive group therapy sessions do for you and your recovery? There are a number of benefits to these sessions including:
- Support: Since the group consists of individuals with similar struggles at various stages in recovery, the group setting provides peer support for participants. Participants can learn from each other in a safe environment. Those who have been in the group longer than others can provide mentorship and support.
- Idea Sharing: Group therapy provides participants with a means to bounce ideas around regarding recovery, avoiding triggers and ways to keep moving forward as well as ways to deal with conflicts with family and friends.
- Momentum: Being part of a support group can help keep you moving in a forward direction on your recovery path. The support and information shared in a support group can give you the motivation to keep moving forward.
- Socialization: Group therapy is a great way to either learn socialization skills or work on socialization without relapse. In the group setting, you can practice ways to handle triggers in an environment that is geared toward healing.
- Less Expensive: Group therapy tends to be less expensive than individual therapy. Group sessions provide equal therapeutic benefits at less cost to you.
- Self Awareness: During the group sessions, you will learn more about yourself and become more self-aware. Group sessions provide a safe place for you to look within yourself and discover more about what drives you.
Intensive Group Therapy Sessions in Baltimore
Intensive group therapy sessions can be a welcome addition to your treatment plan. You will be able to learn more about yourself, your recovery process, and connect with individuals. The Bergand Group provides intensive group therapy sessions to Baltimore residents recovering from addiction.