The statistics are alarming: according to the National Survey of Drug Use and Health, approximately 10 million teenagers and young adults, aged 12 to 29 years, require treatment for addiction and substance use. Therefore, it’s definite that addiction treatment is essential to save the lives of millions of people suffering from addiction issues. Meanwhile, several recovery programs have sprouted to meet the needs of individuals seeking drug treatment in Harford County. But, what’s quality drug treatment? A good drug treatment program should have several addiction treatment programs tailored to the patients’ needs to expedite their recovery journey.
Options for Drug Treatment in Harford County
Treatment options are different depending on patient condition. The National Institute on Drug Abuse advises individuals to choose a treatment method that’s backed with credible scientific evidence. Individuals need to inquire if the program is customized for the needs of each patient. Below are some of the treatment options available in most recovery programs:
- Substance abuse treatment services: Patients receive medication-assisted treatments (MAT) and drug-free programs such as discharge plans, screenings and assessments, case management, and referral assistance as well as individual and group counseling
- Mental health services and substance abuse counseling
- Drug and alcohol detoxification, and more.
Barriers to Drug Treatment in Harford County
There is a disparity between the number of individuals who need drug treatment in the United States and those who receive it. Some of the common barriers include:
1. Personal characteristics barriers
Individual characteristics barriers such as skills, knowledge, motivation, beliefs, and characteristics may hamper access to treatment for patients.
Stigma plays a role for individuals seeking drug treatment. This factor affects mostly adolescents, hence inhibiting their treatment. Perceived stigma by both teenagers and their parents also impedes treatment. Likewise, single parents and women who abuse drugs may experience enhanced stigma, thus acting as a barrier to treatment.
3. Policy or insurance-related barriers
Insurance and coverage policies may prevent individuals from receiving drug treatment. Even for individuals with insurance, the benefits mostly favor mental health services than drug treatment. Therefore, most addicts are prone to under-diagnosis or lack of treatment. In fact, some Medicaid programs do not cover drug treatment, thus creating barriers to access.
The Role of Detox in the Drug Treatment Process
Detoxification or detox is the process of decreasing and removing alcohol or drugs to eliminate the addictive substance from the body. The method is useful in residential treatment facilities but can also be done in an inpatient or outpatient setting.
Below are some of the roles of a detox;
- Eliminating the existing alcohol or drugs out of your system before beginning the addiction treatment.
- Drug detox ensures the safety and comfort of the patient before starting the actual rehabilitation. `
- The process increases the chance of successful recovery
- Drug detox also helps to address the underlying medical conditions, both mental and physical
- The process makes inpatient rehabilitation successful because doctors can develop a personalized treatment plan to allow the patient to get the most out of the treatment process.
Awaken Your Recovery with The Bergand Group
The Bergand Group provides drug treatment in Harford County for individuals who work, live, or attend school. Their therapists deliver quality treatment in a conducive environment and take time to know patients on a personal basis. For over 20 years, they’ve been providing extensive mental health care and addictive disorders treatment for both alcohol and drugs. They help your loved ones to recover. Take the first step and reach out to the Bergand Group today.
About The Bergand Group
At The Bergand Group in Baltimore and Harford County, Maryland, our therapists have more than twenty years of experience in the mental health and addiction fields. Our focus is on providing comprehensive mental health care and appropriate care for addictive disorders. We offer both alcohol rehab and drug rehabilitation. If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or substance addiction, there is help available. We also offer several other services, including family therapy and counseling. We can help. Contact us today.