Alcohol use is widely accepted and promoted in our society, but it’s certainly not without its downsides. According to statistics, over 17 million adults in this country have a drinking problem. The rates of alcohol abuse in Harford County is in line with those statistics.
Signs of Alcohol Abuse
Any of the following signs may indicate that someone has developed a problem related to alcohol:
- Excessive Drinking. People who find that they are drinking more than in the past, or for longer periods of time
- Urges to Drink. If a person begins to feel a compulsion to drink, or that they ‘need’ a drink
- Obsession. If someone continues to drink alcohol even after it has caused conflicts in some area of life or turmoil in their relationships
- Increased Risks. If drinking causes a person to lose control or forego sensibilities, allowing decisions and actions that may cause harm to themselves or others, then their use of alcohol has become a danger to them and those around them
- Adverse Effects. If a person begins to experience adverse reactions when drinking, such as depression, anger or anxiety but continues to drink anyway, they may have a problem.
- Increased Aftereffects. If someone feels intense changes to their physical, emotional or mental state long after the effects of the alcohol have passed, they may have a problem. Shaking, anxiety, depression and nausea are all signs of a potentially serious situation.
Benefits of Rehab
Since addiction affects all individuals differently, attending an alcohol rehab center under the care of professional addiction specialists is often a crucial step. A specialized counselor can help sort out an individual’s situation, determine the possible causes of addiction, and find the best solutions for recovery. A powerful rehabilitation team is often the key to success for many who experience a problem with alcohol.
Taking That Step
If you know someone who has a problem with alcohol, or if you feel that you yourself may have a problem, the most important step you can take is to reach out for help. The Bergand Group is the most experienced and trusted name for conquering alcohol abuse in Harford County. Contact a professional today!
About The Bergand Group:
At The Bergand Group in Baltimore and Harford County, Maryland, our therapists have more than twenty years of experience in the mental health and addiction fields. Our focus is on providing comprehensive mental health care and appropriate care for addictive disorders. We offer both alcohol rehab and drug rehabilitation. If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or substance addiction, there is help available. We also offer several other services, including family therapy and counseling. We can help. Contact us today.